Journal Articles about Tenants of the Old House:
- 1986 Journal - A visit from Winifred Cooper
- 1991 Journal - Pitt
- 2000 Journal - Grant
- 2011 Journal - Tenant of the Old House by George Challenger (text below)
- Recollections of Ernest Grant by George Challenger
TENANTS OF THE OLD HOUSE by George Challenger
In the 2011 Journal of the Bakewell & District Historical Society.
I use the name Old House rather than its previous names, Parsonage House and Cunningham Place. Cunningham Place now refers to the private road and includes Hilltop cottages to the north.
As some of the recollections refer to the room names used until recently, I have kept to them. A plan shows them and the names now adopted as a result of Trevor Brighton’s 2004 Journal article (eg buttery and Bowman room were used before their re-naming to parlour closet and porch chamber).
CAPTIONS TO SOME OF THE ILLUSTRATIONS
Tenements before removal of most of Arkwright’s changes. Based on photographs, several plans drawn in the early years of the society and recollections.
George Butler’s watercolour of 1955 showing the front door to the parlour cottage and, to its left, the 6th cottage which provided its later scullery.
Winifred Squires, nee Cooper, with George Challenger in 1985. As a girl she lived in the buttery cottage.
The buttery cottage, the parlour cottage (with the upper window within reach of the Cooper’s plum tree) and the back of the 6th cottage.
The front showing the 6th cottage, the parlour cottage and the buttery cottage’s scullery where the porch now is.
Ted Meeke listed in the 1989 Journal the people he thought occupied the 6 tenements of the Old House at the times of the censuses of 1851 to 1881. I tried, in the 1998 Journal, to ‘people’ them from those and other sources. This article revises it and includes data from the 1901 and 1911 censuses which are now available (see appendix 2). For more completeness, I bring together other previous articles (some updated) of recollections of former tenants and plans and illustrations which help to explain them.
Plans of the 1950s show the extent of each tenement. There was a change when the 6th cottage became disused in the years leading up to the last war and part of it became the kitchen of the parlour cottage. The porch had been its scullery but was then allocated to the buttery cottage. The previous arrangement is shown schematically in the conveyance plans of 1861 and 1900.
I can be fairly confident in ‘peopling’ the 6 tenements in the 20th century – see the table below. For the 19th century I list the names of those who were probably living in the Old House at different times. It is difficult to be sure which properties are referred to in the earlier censuses (especially 1841).
Only heads of households are listed here. Surnames which occur in contiguous records are put in bold so that it is easier to follow them.
In 1796 Arkwright bought the Gell’s Bakewell estate (after leasing it for the previous 21 years) and lot 14 comprised ‘Parsonage House (in 10 dwellings, barn, gardens, croft and yard)’. The 10 dwellings were probably 5 in the Parsonage House (the 1799 town map shows a small extension where the 6th cottage was built later), 2 to the south which was in what became the grounds of The Close and 3 forming what is now Parsonage Cottage further south. The plan of the 1860 sale from Robert Arkwright to the Duke of Devonshire shows Hilltop as numbers 69 to 71 and the Old House as numbers 74 to 78, the cottage to the south (for more about this cottage see appendix 1) and Parsonage Cottage, both apparently single dwellings.
The 1841 census has little information about places but lists John Turner (145), Jemima Buxton (146) and George Fearn (127) who appear below.
The Poor Law rating valuation of 1847 has 13 dwellings, numbered 1128 to 1140, owned by Arkwright including those converted from the barn to the north (now called Hilltop). 1135 and 1139 were unoccupied: 1136 was occupied by George Fearn, 1137 by Jemima Buxton, 1138 by William Haywood and 1140 by Robert Taylor.
In 1851 the census enumerator came along Church Lane recording Dorothy Lowe at Parsonage Cottage to the south and Richard Noton of Noton’s cottage (where the electricity substation now is). He then recorded 16 in the area then called Hill Yard, first those in the Old House (145 Benjamin Turner, 146 Jemima Buxton, 147 George Fearn, 148 William Howard (was this a different spelling of Haywood?), 149 William Wager and 150 Robert Dakin) then probably two in the cottages to the south; then what is now called Hilltop. He then went further north.
The sale in 1860 from Robert Arkwright to the Duke of Devonshire included 19 cottages and the tenants included Jemima Buxton, William Harrison, Robert Taylor and William Wager.
After the sale to the Duke of Devonshire, the area was divided and, in 1860, Edward Cunningham, the workhouse master, bought the Old House, which then became known as Cunningham Place. Marshal Jenkins (in the Derbyshire Archaeological Journal for 1967) wrote that Cunningham lived in the parlour cottage but this is not bourn out in census returns.
In the 1861 census the area is called The Hill. 166 occupied by Henry Matkin and 167 by Samual Haslem were probably the cottages to the south. Those in the Old House were probably 168 - Anthony Holmes, 169 - Jemima Buxton, 170 - William Wager, 171 - Henry Noton, 172 - Robert Taylor and 173 - William Harrison. 174 to 178 were presumably what is now Hilltop. The enumerator then went along Stanage Road to the Bluebell Inn.
In 1871 the census enumerator started with Richard Noton, then Joseph Goodwin (where was he?), then Matkin and Haslem. In the Old House were: 203 - Anthony Holmes, 204 - Emma Buxton (daughter of Jemima), 205 - William Wager, 206 - George Roper and 207 - William Sheldon. He then recorded five in what is now Hilltop followed by the Bluebell Inn.
The 1881 census enumerator recorded 5 dwellings of Hilltop (then called Parsonage Houses) then, in Cunningham Place: 201 no. 1 - Samuel Bradbury (see recollections below), 202 also no. 1 - John Bond, 203 no. 2 - Thomas Gladwin, 204 no.3 - George Bettney, 205 no.4 - Elizabeth Wager, 206 no. 5 - Walter Boulsover and 207 no. 6 - Anthony Holmes. There seems to be no record for the cottages to the south: probably they were accommodation used for servants at Overdale. Henry Matkin had moved to North Church Street.
The 1891 census enumerator recorded ‘The Parsonage’ which must have meant Church Lane as it included Francis J Taylor’s Overdale, now The Close (see appendix 1). Cunningham Place had 83 - Alfred Rogers, 84 – Frederick Calladine, 85 – George Bettney, 86 – Thomas Gladwin, 87 – Thomas Wilson, 88 – John Barton and four more in what is now called Hilltop.
In 1900 the Old House was sold by the executors of Edward Cunningham to Ernest Longsdon. It was occupied by George Bettney, Charles Chadwick, William Newton, John Goodwin, W H Pitt and Sarah Andrew.
The 1901 census lists those names.
The 1911 census has the same heads of household except that Newton was replaced by Harry Howard and George Bettney by Mary Bettney.
Longsdon sold the gardens in front for the building of The Haven (now Holywell House) and the Church Institute (now School House) and in 1919 sold the Old House to Alfred Denniff. George Bettney, Charles Chadwick and Sarah Andrew were joined as tenants by Mr Stubbs and Mr Potter. Pitt is not mentioned.
In 1923 the Old House was bought by Thomas Nicholson Harrison and, as he died intestate, vested in Kate Newmarch Harrison in 1929. Tenants are not listed.
In 1937 the Old House was vested in Kate Harrison’s offspring. By then the 6th cottage was vacant and the others were occupied by Pitt, Hollis, Clarke, Cooper and an unnamed tenant.
In 1955 the surviving Harrisons, Violet and Bernard, gave the four southern cottages to the Bakewell & District Historical Society. They were occupied by Mrs Daisy Cooper, Mrs Jane Grant and Mrs Rebecca Webster. The 6th cottage was derelict.
In 1957 the two northern cottages occupied by Miss Pitt and Violet Harrison, were also given.
|year||Buttery cottage||6th cottage||Parlour cottage||Central cottage||Harrison’s cottage||Pitts cottage|
|1901 census||189 Newton||188 Goodwin||187 Chadwick||186 Bettney||185 Andrews||184 Pitt|
|1911 census||138 Howard||137 Goodwin||136 Chadwick||135 Bettney||134 vacant||133 Pitt|
|1919 sale||Chadwick||Bettney||Andrews||NO PITT!|
|1955 / 7 gift||Daisy Cooper||derelict||Jane Grant||Rebecca Webster||Violet Harrison||Frances Pitt|
1 Charles Bradbury was a founder member, local builder and antiquarian. See the journals for 1984 and 1985 for his writings. John Marchant Brooks, in his booklet of 1970, wrote that Charles Bradburv said that his grandmother Avena Kay, lived in the largest of the six cottages from about the year 1850, and that his mother was born in the house in 1876. The 1881 census gives Samuel Bradbury aged 36 (therefore born c. 1845) and Martha aged 33 (therefore born c. 1848) but the only child present was adopted. Charles wrote in an undated note in the museum ‘My grandmother, who was born in 1836, often talked about the old place before the Taylors built The Close (see appendix 1). When she lived there the Old House consisted of 4 dwellings. They had a garden down to Church Lane and the other 3 tenants on the land occupied by Charlie Furness, vet.’ His son, Roger Bradbury, said that Charles’s grandmother, Hannah Kay, (whose maiden name was also Bradbury because of cousins marrying) lived for the first 12 years of her life in the parlour cottage. She picked plums from the bedroom window. The 1851 census gives Avena Bradbury (daughter of Benjamin and Martha and born c. 1841) living in Church Lane.
2 In 1987 a visitor recalled that her mother, Emma, was one of 6 children of John and Sarah Elizabeth Andrews. John died in 1889 after working as a policeman under Inspector Barker. Sarah come to live in Harrison’s cottage in about 1889 and died age 62 in about 1919. Harrison’s cottage recorded as vacant in 1911.
3 Newsletter no. 11 of the Society of July 1968 mention a visit by Mrs Alice Howard, aged 92, accompanied by her daughter, grand – daughter and great grand – daughter. She said she lived in the Old House 1898 to 1917 and appears in the 1911 census. But Howards do not appear in the 1901 census (see appendix 2). It was sadly not recorded which cottage she inhabited.
4 Dick Allcock remembered the Goodwins in the 6th cottage between the wars. ‘Rasa’ Goodwin had a large family and he remembered them going up a ladder to bed.
5 Len Mitchell remembered living in the buttery cottage as a boy. He was afraid of falling out of bed and down the stairs because the banister was inadequate.
6 From the 1986 journal: Winifred Squires nee Cooper: Early in 1985 the Museum had a visit from a former resident of the buttery cottage, Winifred Cooper, who lived there from 1922 to 1935, when she left home to nurse in Buxton. She returned when her husband, Eric Squires, left for the war. She had her eldest and youngest children in the small bedroom, their front bedroom. Her middle child was born in the bedroom of the central or houseplace cottage, occupied by Mrs. Meade, because her step father, George Cooper, had a stroke and could not be moved from their front bedroom. After the war, she and her family moved to Nottingham, where Mr. and Mrs. Squires have lived ever since. Her widowed mother, Daisy Cooper, continued to live at Cunningham Place until she moved to a council house when the cottages were condemned.
The cottage had gas downstairs but only candles in the bedrooms. The sink was in the buttery window, next to their front (and only) door, which was embarrassing when someone came to the door when they were washing themselves. While Winifred was still young, they were given a new scullery in what is now the porch. This had been the parlour cottage’s scullery but that cottage was given a new one carved out of the 6th cottage.
The present stairwell was the pantry where they kept cream from a smallholding near Haddon Hall. Their stairs went straight up from the buttery door and had a coal store beneath (where they hid during bombing raids). Winifred slept above the pantry. Her brothers slept behind a curtain at the other end of their long bedroom, near the Bowman Room (which was part of the central cottage). This end was lit by borrowed light through the Bowman room. If annoyed, the tenants of the central cottage could put a curtain across it and deprive them of this light.
Winifred remembered council workmen looking under the buttery floor for the underground passage thought to go to the church (perhaps at the time the ‘moat’ was dug to prevent dampness entering the back of the building). When she saw the garderobe she wondered if it started the story of the passage (though the garderobe was not known about before being opened up in 1967).
Her grandfather Bacon from Youlgrave had worked in Haddon Hall and frightened her with tales of ghosts.
Winifred worked as an usherette at the cinema. She remembered helping her stepfather dress the horses drawing his dray when it was used for the carnival queen on carnival day.
7 The census list of the Pitts in 1911 includes daughter Frances, the Fanny who moved out in 1966. She is not in the 1911 census - she might have been in service in another household. Note that William Pitt was a chert quarrier before becoming a ‘scavenger’ or night soil collector. The chert quarries were still very active then so why did he change jobs? Strangely, the list of tenants when the property was sold in 1919 does not include a Pitt! The following is an article in the journal for 1991. See the family tree from that article copied here.
The following information concerning the Pitt family was obtained from Mrs. Elizabeth Hollis (nee Pitt) following her visit to the Old House Museum in October 1989.
William Henry Pitt (Mrs. Hollis’s brother) had donated photographs of William Pitt and Mary Pitt, his grandparents, and a number of kitchen items.
William Pitt was born in 1857 and died in 1938, within two weeks of his wife Mary. They were married c. 1888 and moved into “Pitts’ house” around 1890. Their son James Henry (father of William Henry) was born in 1889. They also had twin boys, who died soon after birth, and four girls: Fanny, Mary, Elizabeth and Annie. James Henry lived in South Church Street but Mrs. Hollis lived with her grandparents in the Old House until 1932 when she moved to Moorhall. Mary moved to Sheffield, Annie lived on Fly Hill and Fanny lived with her parents.
Mrs. Hollis talked of sleeping by the garderobe, which had plasterboard over it, in the same bed as her sister. They knew the wall was hollow but did not know what was behind it. They said they had heard footsteps at night but had not been afraid.
Pitt’s bedroom had been divided into two by a partition cutting the window in half. The grandparents slept in the other half and there was a bed on the landing at the top of the old staircase.
Cold water was piped to the house, and the kitchen had a stone sink. The floor was flagstoned and Mrs. Hollis used to scrub it. She also blackleaded the stove.
The pipe which Mr. Pitt donated was called ‘the cloud raiser’. She spoke of her grandfather smoking once a year, on New Years’ Eve.
When the earth was cleared from the backs of the houses, rumours flew about the existence of a passage from the house to the church.
Mrs. Hollis’ Aunt Annie lived on Fly Hill. She married George Gregg. James Henry Pitt married Annie Gregg, sister of George Gregg. So brother and sister married sister and brother.
8 On 22 Jan. 2010 Ernest Grant met Jan Stetka and George Challenger to go over his recollections of Cunningham Place and elsewhere in Bakewell. He lived in the parlour cottage of what is now called the Old House from 1941 (when aged 14) to about 1951. This corrects an article in the Journal for 2000 and supplements the extended video interview made at that time. Points added from other knowledge are in italics.
He was born in Barratt’s Yard off North Church Street. Emma Stephens (nee Carrington) helped Ernest’s mother get the tenancy in Cunningham Place. She lived at no. 5 Hilltop, next to the Old House.
Turning to the Old House, Miss Pitt lived with Tommy Carroll and Eva Gregg (who was sometimes called Pitt and who worked at Dunn’s chemist in Bridge Street).
Miss Violet Harrison was not seen much. Rent had to paid via Mr Marchant Brooks and not direct to her.
Mr and Mrs Clark lived in the centre cottage which included the Bowman Room (above the porch). Their son Cyril died during the Second World War in the far east. His younger brother John was born after they moved to Higginholes. Mr and Mrs Meade then came and their son Charlie once tied sheets together to escape out of the Bowman Room window when he had been sent to his room. Mrs Webster was the last occupant of the centre cottage in c. 1952 to 1954. (Mr Marchant Brooks accepted her as a tenant illegally as the closing order was then in force to prevent new lettings of the property).
Mrs Daisy Cooper and daughter Winifred lived in the buttery cottage, which included also the southern parts of the houseplace and landing except for access to the Bowman Room. The porch was their scullery. There were, in the Old House, 4 Coopers, 3 Clarks, 2 Grants (his two brothers were in the forces), I Harrison and 3 in Pitts’ cottage.
The Grants’ (parlour) cottage was entered by the door to the left of the large window. Inside was a porch to stop drafts. Another door from the porch opened outwards (with a hinge on the west) to their scullery (formed from part of the 6th cottage after it became disused before Ernest’s time). The floor was level with the parlour and was of concrete (removed in 2009). The walls were even (no projections, etc). They and the ceiling were plastered with a smooth finish and ‘Walpamured’ (an advance on distemper) in cream. To paint the ceiling Ernest had to stand on a stool on a chair on a table as it was higher than that in the parlour, On the left (east) under a window was a sink with a cold tap. There was also a cupboard.
There was a gas light hanging from the ceiling of the parlour but they didn’t use it for fear of the mantle breaking when it was difficult to buy new ones in the war. So they used an oil lamp. They had difficulty getting blackout material for the 9 - paned window. A black - leaded kitchen range in the big fireplace was like the one in Pitts’ cottage and had a similar fender. It had an oven on the left, a tank for heating water on the right and the hearth in the centre, where there was a grille for oatcakes or toast. The grill turned down for the kettle to go in front of the hearth so that it was heated from the side rather than below, to avoid the risk of burning a hole in the base of the kettle.
Opposite the front door was a flimsy wall with a door to the coal store on the left and, on the right, a door to the stairs which curved up to the left. After deliveries of coal Ernest had to clean the tiles. Opposite the coal store door was a door into the alcove with a thick partition. Ernest knew nothing of the Tudor cupboard which formed part of that room divider. A double door cupboard opened into the main room and shelving faced the alcove. (The CD incorrectly shows the room divider much thicker than the Tudor cupboard.) In the corner of the alcove was a bakestone with a hollow below leading to the chimney. They did not use this. To the left of the bakestone (under the only window) and at the same level was a stone sink or thrall showing that it was the scullery before they had use of the 6th cottage.
At the top of the stairs was a lobby with a door into his mother’s bedroom in the alcove. Ernest put his hand out of the small opening light (which was transferred to the replacement window) to pick Mrs Cooper’s plums. He had the main part of the solar which had two double beds, one used by his brother, George, when he returned from the war. There was no heat upstairs except from stoneware hot water bottles. Ernest spent much time sitting on the window seat looking over the town and valley. There was no blackout over the window so not even candles were used when it was dark. He remembered bombers coming up the valley to go towards Sheffield.
The Parish Rooms (now Old School House) were occupied by the Woman’s Royal Army Corps (though Leslie Wright disputed this). The garden was cultivated by Mr Brotherton of North Church Street. Ernest remembers Dr Evans getting a trench 7-8 feet deep dug across the garden on the line of the present garage to look for the tunnel from Cunningham Place to the church (for use by the monks!).
The part of the 6th cottage which did not form part of their dwelling was used only as a place to store Ernest’s bike. He said the floor level was much below his scullery’s and a bit lower than the ground level outside. The plaster ceiling was bowing so he spent as little time as possible inside. He put his bike against the wall which Jan has discovered, which formed the west wall of the small room and went right to the ceiling. There was a window to the left of the door. He was not aware of spaces above. (The CD shows the structure of the 6th cottage incorrectly.)
His end of Cunningham Place was quiet. The ginnel from the Coach House to Church Lane was private to the Brooke - Taylor household but Ernest sometimes jumped over the garden wall to use it.
He cleared the end of the forecourt to make a garden with red and black currants.
The Grant’s toilet was the south eastern of four in the south west corner of the garden. It had a pit which was cleaned out every few weeks by the council. In Feb 2008 when the excavation for the new gallery was starting Ernest Grant visited and remembered walking up a slope on the stone slab path then visible (which is on the 1879 map). The south west cubicle was used by the Coopers.
The ceilings were coming down and the Grants moved out to Holywell flats (and later to Burton Edge and then Youlgrave).
Ernest worked in the chert mine and remembers using acetylene lamps.
APPENDIX 1: THE CLOSE by George Challenger after discussion with Mrs Barbara Brooke – Taylor.
After the Duke of Devonshire had bought the Parsonage land from Robert Arkwright and subdivided it. James Taylor bought the land south of the Old House. In 1882 Francis James Taylor (1852 to 1915) bought the land and built Overdale. He bought more land in about 1900.
In 1884 he knocked two of the three Parsonage cottages into one. In 1912 the third cottage was amalgamated and he lived there, leaving Overdale to be occupied by his brother, Herbert Brooke –Taylor in 1913 (who renamed it The Close).
In 1913 the stable block (now called The Coach House) was built. The upper floor was made into a flat for Michael and Barbara Brooke – Taylor after the Second World War
C R Allcock remembered the thatched cottages, demolished in 1928, which were just to the east of The Coach House. Charles Bradbury’s notes (in the Journal for 1984) mention that his mother and father, when first married, lived in a detached cottage in the grounds of The Close, presumably this cottage (see Bradbury above).
Michael Brooke – Taylor once told me that, as a boy, he used to pea - shoot tenants of Cunningham Place from above the stable.
APPENDIX 2: CENSUSES OF TENANTS OF CUNNINGHAM PLACE
|schedule no.||no. of rooms||name||age||status||occupation||birthplace|
|184||4||William PITT||39||head||chert quarrier||Longstone|
|Peter Goodwin||60||boarder||corn miller’s carter||Bakewell|
|186||3||George BETTNEY||60||head||stone waller||Baslow|
|188||4||John GOODWIN||31||head||cab driver/groom||Youlgreave|
|189||4||William NEWTON||36||head||grocer’s carter||Over Haddon|
|Schedule no.||No of rooms||name||status||marital status||age||d.b||occupation||birthplace|
|133||4||PITT, William Henry||Head||Married||49||1862||Scavenger, Bakewell UDC||Longstone|
|PITT, May||Wife||Marr. 24 years||46||1865||Bakewell|
|PITT, James Henry||Son||Single||21||1890||Delver In Stone Quarry||Bakewell|
|PITT, Mary Ellen||daughter||13||1898||school||Bakewell|
|135||3||BETTNEY, Mary||Wife||Widow||69||1842||House Wife||Over Haddon|
|136||3||CHADWICK, Charles Edward||Head||Married||46||1865||Plasterer House||Wakefield Yorkshire|
|CHADWICK, Matilda||Wife||Marr. 22 years||42||1869||Apperknowle|
|CHADWICK, William||Son||Single||22||1889||General labourer||Bakewell|
|CHADWICK, Robert||Nephew||Single||32||1879||Delver In Stone Quarry||Bakewell|
|POTTER, George||Nephew||14||1897||Grocers Errand Boy||Bakewell|
|137||3||GOODWIN, John||Head||Married||41||1870||County Council Roadman||Youlgreave|
|GOODWIN, Kate||Wife||Marr.17 years||36||1875||Bakewell|
|138||4||HOWARD, Harry||Head||Married||36||1875||Gardener Jobbing||Bakewell|
|HOWARD, Alice||Wife||Marr.12 years||35||1876||Rippingale Lincs|
APPENDIX 3: THE NUMBER OF ROOMS
These censuses include the number of rooms each household has. They were allowed to include the kitchen, but not scullery, landing, lobby, closet or bathroom. Adding up the number of rooms in the Old House they total 22 in 1901. There were 17 in 1911 but household 134 is omitted. One of the models of the Old House we had made in the 1980s shows each cottage of that period in a different colour from the knowledge we then had. I am grateful to Ernest Grant and to Laurence Knighton (who was active in the Society in its early days) for confirming that it is correct. So what were all these rooms? I suggest the following:
Pitts’ cottage 4 rooms kitchen; cellar; upper floor divided into 2 bedrooms.
Harrison’s cottage 4 rooms living room (now our office); kitchen; 2 bedrooms.
Central cottage 3 rooms most of houseplace; most of landing; Bowman room.
Parlour cottage 3 rooms parlour; solar; solar alcove.
6th cottage 4/3 rooms one significant room on the ground floor; the first floor and a loft.
Buttery cottage 4 rooms buttery; south end of houseplace and space now occupied by the stairs; small bedroom; south end of landing and where stairs now are.
APPENDIX 4: OCCUPATIONS from 19th century censuses
Arkwright acquired the property to provide accommodation for his mill workers but, by the time of the 1841 census, no-one was recorded as such. Several members of the Bettney family worked at the mill late in the century, including two as cotton spinners. The commonest occupation was labouring. Jemima Buxton and Thomas Gladwin’s wife were laundresses. Holmes was a tailor. Rogers was a marble mason and his son a blacksmith. Noton’s son was a marble worker. Harrison and Roper were miners. Wager was a wheelwright, his widow a housekeeper and son a blacksmith. A lodger of Goodwin’s was Edwin Broomhead, plumber, and a lodger of Fearn’s was a miller. Transport employed a number: Gladwin was a mail coach driver; Calladine a cab driver; Bradbury a carter; Taylor a coach painter; Noton and Boulsover were rural messengers; Wilson was a cattle drover and several were road labourers.
I thank Marian Barker for help with the censuses. I have partly relied on the three volumes by Ted Meeke in which he listed and analysed census data for Bakewell for 1841 to 1881.
ADDITION FROM JOHN MARCHANT BROOKS' NOTEBOOK ON 1954 which came with material from Philip Roose's
house in 2113. JMB was land agent and collected rents for the owners.
1 Pitts Polly and Will
2 Miss Harrison, Mrs Potter, Mrs Andrews
3 (central) Mrs Webster, Mould, Fred Clark. Mrs Mead. Old Mrs Bettney with 13 children went in 1870
4 (buttery) Ricey Cooper, Howard, Stubbs
5 (parlour) TN Harrison died c. 1929 widow stayed with daughter, Matthew Hollis, Prvecy? Noton Mrs Chadwick (submarine Charlie), Grant
6 (6th cottage) Jack (Razzer) Goodwin and Kate.and son Jimmie. When they left Charles McGregor became tenant.